Business Approach: Farmer Co-operative Business and Agribusiness (FACOBA)
The Co-op: Twezimbe Area Cooperative Enterprise (TACE) Limited is an autonomous farmer owned enterprise, located in Ntwetwe Town Council, Kiboga West Constituency, Kyankwanzi District, Uganda. The organisation started in February 2010 and registered in May 2012 under the Co-operative Institutions Statute,1991 and Co-operative Regulations,1992, with the Registration Number: 9905/RCS. Twezimbe area Cooperative Enterprise was formed by primary agricultural cooperative societies to promote the MUTUAL economic and social needs of the farmers in accordance with the co-operative values and principles.
Vision: A Leading farmer owned Co-operative institution providing access to better markets and market alternatives for farmers in rural farming communities.
Mission: To bring farmers together to carry out collective marketing and value addition through bulking of high quality produce with a purpose of gaining access to better markets, food security and improved income.
Our products are agro-inputs, maize, beans and coffee. These enterprises are profitable, market competitive and cost effective in nature. Maize and beans are produced, processed, packaged, branded and marketed cooperatively by farmers and that will also be done to coffee.
THE CO-OPERATIVE STRATEGY
- Refining and strengthening the agricultural marketing and agro-processing functions for proper positioning in the current competitive agricultural sector.
- Strengthening the capacity, systems and sustainability of Twezimbe ACE, Primary Cooperative Societies and individual members.
- Establishing strategic partnerships and alliances with value chain stakeholders to promote and strengthen farmer-to-market linkages.
Strategies for co-operative business development
Twezimbe will focus on implementing an integrated market-oriented co-operative marketing system using a value chain approach. The major focus will be put on;
(a) Strengthening the capacity, systems of Twezimbe ACE and primary co-operative societies
(b) Farmers adaptation to climate change and agri-environmental mitigation measures
(c) Increasing agricultural production and productivity
(d) Agro-marketing and processing enterprise development
(e) Develop and strengthen the co-operative marketing information system
- Strengthening the capacity and skills of Twezimbe ACE for increased membership to 4,000, effective performance and service delivery by end of 2016.
- Promotion of rural producers’ adaptation to climate change and agro-environmental mitigation measures.
- Increasing production and productivity of maize, beans and coffee enterprises for increased food and income security by end of 2016.
- Post-harvest management and processing improvement to reduce post-harvest losses and upgrading the capacity of Twezimbe ACE Farmers to improve food safety, sanitary & phytosanitary (SPS), and quality management systems (QMS).
- Establishing viable and sustainable marketing systems for increased market access, quality assurance and competitiveness by the end of 2016.